Monday, August 4, 2014

More Than Just a Mud Run


Yesterday, I embarked on a new adventure when I attempted my first run of any kind.
 
A mud run.

The Dirty Girl Mud Run.

Yes, I jumped in mud, ran in mud, crawled in mud, and fell into mud. Many times during this muddy romp, I asked myself what I was doing. (My husband had asked this same question many times in the two months since I registered.)


I was completely out of my comfort zone.


And having a blast!


Here's what I learned:

·         I don't step out of my comfort zone as often as I should.

·         Laughing at myself through struggles makes them easier to handle.

·         It feels liberating to try something you never thought you could.

·         Risks and new experiences are more enjoyable with friends.

·         Completing a challenging task is an incredible feeling, and can be addicting.

·         I would actually sign up for another run (maybe even next year's Dirty Girl).

 

These self-realizations mirror the type of classroom environment I want for my students.


Every day should present an opportunity for my students to step out of their comfort zones and try something new. As often as possible, my students and I need to laugh at the humorous moments along our learning path, especially at our failures. We all need to appreciate and celebrate our efforts, and not just the perfect final product.  I want my classroom community to support each other, despite different opinions or experiences. Everyone has something to learn from each other, including me learning from them. My students need to believe that trying again and again is worth it. Learning from failed attempts has merit.  In addition, once they have reached one goal, I want my students to feel the desire to tackle another one.


Yesterday, it was just a mud run to many at the event.


However, to me it was a realization that I am a better person and teacher when I step outside my normal.

When I take risks and push through.

When I fall down in the mud and when I surprise myself (and family) by scaling the wall or running up the obstacle instead of climbing.

When I feel proud of the mud covering my body as proof of my accomplishment.

When I am excited to feel that way again.


My students don't know it yet, but they'll be doing many mud runs with me this year.

 
Prepare to get dirty!
 
I am joining other bloggers in a Motivational Monday Linky Party. Click this link to read the other incredible blog posts!
 
 


 

3 comments:

  1. Love your analogy, Sandy! I hope you will share this story with your students on the first day of school. You can model so many things for them - persistence, to name one! You will be able to show them that you "get it." That learning is messy. And that you are with them all the way. Looks like you are going to have a great year!
    Thanks for joining the linky party!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of you for trying something new! I like all the things on your "learned" list, especially trying something you never thought you could and the fact that new experiences are better with friends. I hope you can take this exciting experience into the classroom with you and remember that some things are new and tough but the learning that comes out of it is greater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy, your post reminds me that teaching can be a messy endeavour. Leaving one's comfort zone isn't easy and can open up possibilities of mistakes and failure. But it is in those times that deep learning can take place. In those times resilience is developed and a demeanour creative problem-solving beckoned.  When we embrace the mess we often take it a little more easy on ourselves as well. 

    Never thought I would be saying this but: keep up the muddy work :)

    ReplyDelete